Getting older IS something to celebrate, and many people are celebrating BIG TIME.
According to AARP (no, I’m NOT a member – yet!) 75% of adults 45 or older plan to take a “celebration vacation” at some point. Forget the party and gifts; these people want to spend TIME with the ones they love. And sometimes they’ll even pay for it. (Think Gran and Gramps and a multigenerational trip).
Below, you’ll find a few tips to keep in mind when planning a “celebration vacation” and a few ideas to get you started.
Whatever the location and group configuration there are few things to keep in mind:
- Who’s paying? One host could pay for everything (again, talk to Gran and Gramps) or a group could plan a combined birthday trip, and everyone pays for themselves. It’s important to establish who’s responsible for each expense before the planning starts. Getting stuck with unexpected expenses leads to hard feelings and may ruin the trip.
- Don’t over-plan activities and mandatory events. Yes, it’s your birthday, but too much togetherness is never a good thing. Give your guests (or co-revelers) the freedom and space to join in or chill out on their own.
- Provide participants with a lot of information about the destination and things to do and then ask for suggestions and requests before planning starts. Everyone will be much happier with a say in planning.
- When planning a multigenerational trip, make sure each age group has something to do. Cruises are economical and provide enough togetherness AND away time to keep everyone happy and friends. Plus, there are so many types of cruises (ocean, river, barge), you’re sure to find something everyone will love.
A few ideas for that big birthday/anniversary/graduation/retirement celebration:
- Attend Baseball Fantasy Camp during spring training.
- Take a cooking class in Tuscany.
- Search for the Big 5 in Africa.
- Go diving in Fiji.
- Experience the national parks.
- Bungee jump in New Zealand.
- Hike Machu Picchu.
- See the Northern Lights in Iceland.
- Golf at St. Andrews in Scotland.
- Marvel at nature on the Galapagos Islands.
- Recreate your honeymoon or another special trip.
- Rock on at Rock & Roll Fantasy Camp.
- Eat, drink, and spa your way around Napa Valley.
- Save sea turtles in Costa Rica.
- Rent an over-the-water bungalow in Tahiti.
- Go to the Indy 500/Kentucky Derby/Tour de France.
Do something you’ve always wanted to do. Whether it’s a scrapbooking cruise to Alaska or an African Safari, the world is waiting.
It’s time to celebrate! Contact me here to start planning your celebration vacation.